Saturday, October 15, 2005

¡Hola, México!

I wish that I could have more time to go southern state of México… At least, almost everyone we met in México told us so. I am sure that someday I will visit there again. Our two-week experiences in México were full of surprises and joys. We went to Guadalajara, Amatitan, Puerto Vallarta, Mascotas, Guanajuato, and DF, México City. I already started missing it on my way back to Arizona

Stephen Tseng and I couldn’t wait till the final week finished. We caught a midnight plane flying all the way to Guadalajara, starting our adventure from there. At 5:30 am, we were sleepy and stood in the crowd speaking Spanish. Figuring our way to the rental apartment was not that difficult. The cab driver was very friendly and gentle although we had no clue what he was saying. The direction from Michael Grifka was very helpful. He knew that we might finish in the middle of nowhere if we only had the address. So at 6am, we were in front of his temporary apartment, while we didn’t know we were there already, and tried to ask the corner store where his apartment was, of course, with my poor Spanish.

“Well… ¿Dónde está la Casa Cora?” After her extremely fast explanation in Spanish, I still had no idea what she was talking about. (Later we realized that her store was next to the apartment.) Stephen and I knocked at the door. Sleepy Michael had no choice but woke up before his flat mate kicked him off the bed. (Yes! That was 6AM!) Guadalajara was still half asleep then. We actually felt so great to escape from Glendale and almost shout out on the street: “¡Hola, México!”

The first day in Guadalajara was really interesting. We walked around this working city and found some “mimos” (clowns) performing on the plaza. Three of us stood in the crowd and watched the show that a mimo would randomly choose people, two men and two women, to the center of the plaza. When he started, two guys had to choose between two ladies. Quite entertaining session, we thought. There was another mimo collecting the tips. When he came to me with a hat, I had no small change but 10 pesos. I was trying to look for help from my two “best” companies. They stepped back and pretended strangers whistling. The rest of people watched me. OK! OK! Here you go! They were so happy because 10 pesos were rare.

They decided to let go two guys and get me to the center. Stephen and Michael were more excited than I was. The mimo asked me: “¿Hablas español?” I replied, “un poco, poquito.” (a little) He seemed not to believe what I said and yelled: “Gua! Jotito!” (Sissy) Everyone was laughing, and they two didn’t stop taking pictures. Well…what can I say? I don’t want to remember what happened next. Eventually, I got off and felt quite relief. Stephen and Mike still enjoyed the pictures alone.

Our one day tour in Amatitan was a big party. It’s one of towns with Tequila factories. We went to the Herradura Company. Its historical buildings and stories were a charm stronger than its tequila. As you can imagine, we tried “some” samples of various tequila. Stephen started the idea to plant some agaves back home. Who knows how long it’s gonna take? Well…you know Stephen. Don’t be too serious. Besides drinking, Stephen and I became very famous in eating. We are not only the fonda (vender) kings but also comelón (gluttonous). Why? It’s because we enjoyed the venders too much. The food from venders was not only cheap but also yummy! Although we could poorly speak Spanish, “Taco con…this or that” was our common phrase everyday.

The other interesting thing was that everybody thought Asians knew Karate. We met some people greeting us by yelling “Ada!” I guess that stereotype might help us avoid some troubles. Bruce Lee or Jacky Chan seems very hot around. Sometimes, if we were not in a hurry, we would have greeted back by “Ada!!” We were glad that nobody really challenged us during the whole trip. Otherwise, we might need to show how fast two Taiwanese could run.

Going to Puerto Vallarta was what we expected for a long time since we just escaped from the desert. When Stephen and I were in university, there was a beach on our campus. We missed the ocean very much. When Michael brought the idea on the table, we didn’t hesitate to take it. It’s not like what you used to make a plan or a reservation. We didn’t bother to do so and jumped on the bus heading to the PV. That’s it! We started to look for a hotel to stay as soon as we got there.

The first hotel we went was with a little girl sitting on the reception desk and watching cartoon. When Michael asked her in Spanish, she was shy and looked at the ground. As soon as he finished, she ran back and didn’t show up at all. We three stood there and looked at each other. Hmm…maybe we should try another one. Anyway, we found a good alternative with 15 dollars per day. The room is a bit humid and made me feel like home. After we settled, the idea to get some food came up. While we walked out the hotel, the old concierge told us: “Taco, many many tacos”. A pause took place, and we laughed.

PV at the night wasn’t pleasant. The beach was fun and nice before the rain, but too many tourists, including ourselves, gradually changed this place. The smell in the ocean reminded me when I swam in the harbor on campus of my undergraduate in Kaohsiung, Taiwan. Seriously, on my trip, I found a lot in common between México and Taiwan. Although the humidity made us sticky, the wind brought us the memory back to the college through the salty taste of the air. People drove around and played the music loudly. Some teenagers fought when they were drunk. Many stores were like the bad make-up to the city. I preferred the old downtown with few tourists, more venders, and more historical buildings. Walking around there was a pleasure.

The balcony of the hotel presented itself with European style. Besides taking pictures, I couldn’t figure out a better to capture the moment. It was too bad that I forgot to bring my charcoal. Otherwise, sitting there and working the portrait might be a good option to spend my morning time. We had the breakfast at the recommended restaurant according to the Lonely Planet. Michael said that many Latino buildings had the patio without the roof. When it doesn’t rain, you can enjoy your meal with the sun light and the breeze coming from everywhere. It’s like you open yourself to invite them.

Mascotas was a surprise. Michael’s friend, Alma, had never been there and suggested us do so. Not many people, especially tourists, heard this place. Of course, Stephen and I came here to experience everything we could. Thus, we decided to rent a car and to drive there. Gee…I am glad that we came all the way to this little town. Not only on our way to but also at the town, there were more than we thought. Mascotas is a historical and a typical Mexican neighborhood. Small plaza only took you 3 minutes to walk around. People are super friendly and very hospitable. BBQ corn vender was right on the corner and cost you 10 pesos per corn with their big smile.

The evening was full of thunder storm. We found a hotel 5 minutes away the downtown by driving. The house we rent was about 1,000 sq feet and 600 pesos per night. Wow! We even had a nice kitchen and a big fire place. A hammock outside the house became the hottest place for us to fight for. August is not their busy time because the raining season starts from May through September. The cottage style made us feel quite comfortable. We had coffee talk around the fire place and warmed ourselves by the fire. You didn’t have to be rush. Just sit there, and it’s up to you whether you want to chat or not. Holding your coffee and listening to others was joyful already. The next morning the owner gave us the freshest cucumbers from the farm. The view outside the house was wide open. You could see the farmers working in the field and the horses taking paseos around the barn. Then I didn’t realize that those horses would take me for the first horse ride in my life.

I might ride a horse when I was 3 or so. The detail was too long ago to be remembered. While Stephen picked a shining and glowing horse, I chose an opposite one, which is a brown horse. He looked shy and humble with spots around his skin. I padded him before riding on his back. He seemed to nod to me. I was glad to choose him. Stephen’s ride wasn’t quite smooth at all. The owner had to ride with him to prevent the horse jumping around. I only needed to gently switch the bridle, and he understood immediately. I whispered to him on our way to the other side of the corn field. His speed was not too slow and not so fast. I had enough time to take pictures on saddle. He is a 15-year-old horse with the intelligence and the tenderness. On his back, the view of Mascotas was totally different.

Guanajuato is a city that you have to visit while you are in México. It was built along the hill given the history of the mining industry. It’s also a college town. Charming architectures were dyeing by orange sunsets. It’s peaceful and quite at the first glance. We found out its different beauty after the night came. The weekend festival was very famous. The crowd walked toward the plaza and around the city afterwards. Music, fun, and a little magic made you enjoy the moment. My bed was next to the balcony. Lying on it in the morning, I could watch the main street full of people and venders. The city just woke up with the sun shine. The market across the road was busy and energetic. The police’s whistles sounded like birds singing. Somehow, I thought that there were some canaries outside the window while I slept.

Before we left for México, many people told us that México City is quite dangerous. The only exception was the comment from those who lived or were born there. Almost all of Michael’s flat mates told us that it’s dangerous to travel alone there. At the beginning, Stephen and I weren’t worried that much. But you know that you would change eventually if more than three people gave you the same comment on something you think the opposite. The reality in México City concerned us a little.

Sitting on the bus to México City from Guanajuato wasn’t long; at least, I thought so. Michael departed for Guadalajara earlier. The trip to DF would be only Stephen and me. With our limited Spanish, we got a lot of help from friendly Mexicans. We almost know every vender on the street in our neighborhood since we tried different ones every morning. We had 6-peso tacos with beef tongues and 15-peso beef soups for the breakfasts. The girl in internet café knew us well and nodded to us every morning. (she is cute!) The other night, we went to a local bar and tried to order the pork skin. I pushed my nose up and pointed on my skin. However, she had no clue what I was doing. Three gentlemen on the other table laughed at me (hehe…it’s a good way for me to know people though) and helped us order the chorizo. We were invited to their table. The best dish in the bar was something not on the menu. Another amazing soup was made by the shrimp with the chili. Hot and juicy taste was full of my mouth. Drinking some cerveza with new friends would be a good option, too. It was quite a night! On our way back to the hotel, they started singing “♫ La cucaracha ♫...la cucaracha ♫”.

I couldn’t help it but took 2,000s pictures for the whole trip. Of course, we went to many museums and tourist places, such as the Pyramid. There are so many things I want to write down. My friends from AIESEC or a GMBA student, Patricia Nakagawa, Summer ’06, helped us a lot. We really appreciated their kindness and friendship. The most and the best memories I have are still about the people there. Even some details of interacting with them are still fresh in my head. It’s just like yesterday rather than a month ago. I love this country and its people and look forward to visiting there some day. Before that, I shall practice my Spanish in order to start another adventure.

“¡Hola, México!”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home