Monday, November 21, 2005

Lonely Highway

During the break between Spring and Summer 2005, we went to Texas for a short road trip. Starting from Austin to Luckenbach, Fredericksburg, San Antonio, and Houston, our trip was not very long. However, it gave me the idea when many American students discussed what’s like to travel in the US. I also understood one of my favorite songs since my high school days.

Lonely Highway was Sky Wu’s piece. He is one of the most talented pop singers in Taiwan. His resonant and bright voice accompanies his songs very well. When I was in high school, I didn’t quite understand the meaning of “Lonely Highway”. As a teenager then, the only important thing of my life was to study and to pass the exam. Its lyrics mentioned some components of the emotion, which were too far for me to imagine. On my way in Texas, I suddenly had the picture: a person in a small sedan drives along the road. There is no one else. Nothing appears in the mirror. You keep hitting the end of the road. Sun in the desert is your only company. Wearing a pair of sunglasses is how you hide from the loneliness and avoid others to read your mind. You bear something unrelieved and try to escape from your world…

Although our road trip was joyful and the natural views were amazing, I felt somehow lonely and tiny to the whole universe. Diasporas or Siddhartha may have the same feeling while traveling across the lands. You start to think something linked to your life or reading experience while meeting diverse people. There’s a Chinese old saying: “Traveling thousands of miles is better than reading thousands of books.” Not only the memories but also the reflection on you is meaningful.

The road trip is short, but the life journey isn’t. I was thinking to drive across the states from west to east coast. It seems difficult for me to accomplish this before the graduation. Hey, who knows? I may do so once in life time. Anyone wants to join me? We can sing and drive along the way. Extra the essence of time, and drink it! Enjoy the “Lonely Highway”.

Lonely Highway

Melody: Sky Wu; Lyrics: Yan-er; Singer: Sky Wu

I promised to travel with you, but I flew alone and didn’t keep my word.

The scenes outside the window changed over time and reminded me the fluster of the betrayal.

I promised not to let you wander around. I am confused and don’t know what’s right or wrong.

While walking alone on the snowing street, I can’t hold a warm coffee.

New York, Dallas, Los Angeles… It snows at every stop on the lonely highway.

Miss, wait, and drained-away dreams… It hurts at every inch on the lonely highway.

Sunrise, Moonshake, Heartbreaker. It snows at every stop on the lonely highway.

Apathy, fervor, and a hand with a lighted cigarette... Where is the end on the lonely highway?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home