Monday, November 21, 2005

So Long, Thunderbird!

Before starting my study in Thunderbird, I had one of the worst periods of my life. My dad was in the ICU (Intensive Care Unit) and the ward about three months. Afterwards, my second brother had his thyroid cancer surgery. My big brother had a motorcycle accident. Meanwhile, I needed to work in the day time, visited my second brother in the hospital, slept in my father’s ward in another, which is about an hour away by scooter. Eventually, they are all healthy and well. I am a lucky man.

While I rode across a half of Taipei City, I usually thought what the meaning for life is. I didn’t have the idea to study abroad then. All I want was that they recovered soon and got well. Mengzi said: “When God is about to place a great responsibility on a man, it always first frustrates his spirit and will, exhausts his muscles and bones, exposes him to starvation and poverty, harasses him by troubles and setbacks so as to stimulate his spirit, toughen his nature and enhance his abilities.”[1] I like this quote, and it encouraged me during my down term. I never dreamed to accomplish some great things though. As long as my family and I are happy, that’s good enough. Thus, I quit my job and took care of my family.

After they convalesced, I started to consider the option to study abroad. One year later, I arrived the Thunderbird and struggled against tons of school work and campus events since then. Frankly speaking, I cherished every moment I had here. It is because of not only the last time as a student but also the unique environment with wonderful classmates. Last week, I was talking to an alumnus in the pub. We all agreed that we’re really gonna miss all these special experiences as T-birds. From the regional nights to the cultural dinners, from the pub to the TAC (without air-conditioning in summer, oh boy!), from the soccer field to the tennis court, from lecture halls to IBIC, every little thing will exist in our topics upon the graduation for life-long time.

I’ve tried many different challenges and used every opportunity to enhance my days on campus. I am not a perfect person, but I want to live my life differently. Thanks to everyone who ever teaches, helps, facilitates, listens to, and work with me along the way. I really appreciate all of you from the bottom of my heart. To my fellow classmates, there was a fabulous big bird called “peng” in Chinese. When it spreads the wings, it can fly over ten thousands miles. I wish you all fly as high and far as the big bird. So long, my friends. So long, Thunderbird!



[1] http://www.51test.net/show.asp?id=20367

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home